Monday, October 26, 2009

Amazing Weekend!

January 9, 2010
VFW Hall
9075 Mason Dr
Newaygo, MI 49337

Doors will open at 4:30pm
A welcome will happen at 5:30pm
Dinner immediately following the welcome 6pm-7pm eat dinner
7pm introduction and about the event
715pm introduction of a speaker
745 faces of CHD video
8pm a formal waltz in memory of Ethin Twigg
805pm a thank you and enjoy the rest of our evening dancing

Dinner will be donated and catered by CSK Catering. There will be things to drink with a tip jug donation.
There will be a silent auction and dancing after the thank you
Tickets are $75 for one or $125 for two please make checks payable for the tickets to Jessica Twigg and in the memo line write Heart Ball
This is a black tie event so dig out your tuxes and formal gowns for a great cause that will help the Hearts of many!!!
All proceeds from this event will be donated to the University of Michigan Mott's Children's Hospital Congenital Heart Center in Memory of Ethin RaiLuc Twigg 1/9/09-6/27/09
R.S.V.P. to Jessica Twigg
513 Sunset Dr.
Newaygo, MI 49337
chdhlhs09@yahoo.com
616-634-3029

In other news I am still in desperate need of blankets. Our Cuddles From The Heart Program in MI is off to a good start and we have about 210 so we only need about another 90. I think that this is very doable. I also think that if we get more than that would be even better as it would allow the kids and the families to really have a choice. You can mail me your new store bought or homemade blanket to Jessica Twigg 513 Sunset Dr. Newaygo, MI 49337
We will be handing these blankets out in Feb. at Mott's where Ethin spent his life. The comfort of our own blankets during his life was just enough to make the hospital feel more like our home than a hospital. The nurses liked putting them on his bed and I liked knowing there were some areas where comfort was attainable. So let's get these blankets!!!
I also still have Ethin's Bracelets. They are $2 each and I can mail them to you if you mail me the money to the above address also. All the money from these bracelets are funding the heart ball. I am also in desperate need of more pictures for my Faces of CHD video. I need pictures of people and children with CHD's emailed to me at chdhlhs09@yahoo.com with the picture I also need the name of the child and the CHD they have. I also need more CHD Angel pictures with those pictures I need their firt name and last name if you wish as well as their birthdate, Angel date, and CHD. Spread this around please as I am trying to make this video a good one to show at the heart ball.

Well the weekend was long and exhausting however there is much to tell as the week last week was all about Jonathin and lots has happened. Last Thursday someone very close to me gave me a gift that I have wanted for some time. I had expressed many times that I wanted a tattoo for Ethin on my left shoulder and so here is a picture of that tattoo that I am so happy with and thrilled that I finally got....

So that is all for last week....Then on this past Friday after my counseling appointment I left for my long weekend of many things to do. On Friday I went and seen a family I had met at the hospital. Rick and Angel gave birth to Hayden early and were at U of M while we were there. We quickly became friends. They went home the day before Ethin passed away and they were at the funeral. About 2 months ago I got a call that Rick was diagnosed with terminal cancer. This was the first chance I had to go over and see them. We had a great time together. Hayden is so big and Rick looks great and Angel is holding up well. Not to mention he does tattoos and so he gave me one for the J Triplets Here it is.........
Then Saturday I woke up and trekked my way to Mott hospital to meet with Dr. Russell and drop stuff off there that he and another doctor had requested. While I was there I was able to see a few people there that had taken care of Ethin and as always was a great visit. Dr. Russell showed up and I gave him 4 of the posters for the Ball and the 100 bracelets that he bought. We talked for a bit and he asked me who I wanted to speak at the ball I told him and he said he would ask that doctor....There is more to this story but I want to go in order. I said goodbye to Dr. Russell and a family that was inpatient that I was friends with and headed to Detroit.....
Ok so maybe not etroit but the "Burbs" as JJ informs me all the time. Traffic in the city to me is like trying to drive the farm truck in the pasture around the cows!!! YIKES!!!!
I got the National Make a Difference Day event in Detroit that volunteered to make blankets for the cuddles from the Heart program!!! I got there and I was immediately in tears when I seen the 175 blankets that they had made for this project. It had to be one of the most amazing things for me as we were loading my van and I was standing at the back of my van looking to the front as I was loading them and there was my picture of Ethin looking at me. The picture of him that says With God all things are possible. There was Ethin reminding me that when I though this would not be done God would show me a way. Also a gentle emotional reminder that Ethin is still touching lives!!! Also that people really do love and give with unselfish wantings! God is good and everything will work out.
Once my van was loaded it was back to "Burb" driving. I set the GPS and was on my way to meet up with my friend Stephanie to have a fun time before Sunday. I met up with her and she took me to the movies. Paranormal activity to be exact!! Note to Self NEVR let Steph pick the movie ever again!!! YIKES!!!! Do not watch this movie is my complete recommendation. After the movies went and got nachos then back to her house to just chill for the rest of the night and visit with her husband too and SLEEP!!!!
Sunday came way to quick but I woke up to Dunkin Doughnuts coffe and brakfast sandwich!! Man we need one of those in Newaygo! Mmmmm thanks Jeremy!!! Got ready for my day and spent some time with their kids and visited with them as I rearranged my van so I could see out my windows. A hard thing with that many blankets in boxes so I had to eliminate the top layer of boxes so I could see!!! Then it was goodbyes and hugs and I was off to spend the day with Heart Family....Those who wonder what this is see definition on the side bar.
Hearts of Hope had a big Heart Family get together!!! It was a Fall Festival filled with Heart Family and friends that I would not trade for the world! I picked out a pumpkin to carve for Ethin. Had lunch and got a bit lost in the corn maze with the Bilpos. Shoulda followed Wayne he made it through but he cheated!! Sat by the bonfire and had great fellowship with so many. Met Heart Family that I only knew through blogs and face book. Seeing them in person is so different. The day was great. I got to see the Butchers, Bilpos, Larrisons, Blacks, Husteds, Lays, Shoemakers, Deans, Lanhams, oh the list goes on!!! I also got to meet Lauren and the Valaseks. At the event I also had 2 heart moms give me some blankets. At the end of the day when I left the East side of the state I had 180 blankets total for the Cuddles from the Hart program. Thats right 180 when I left in my van!!! There were blankets from the floor to the top of the seats!!!
So homeward bound with the blankets and the GPS telling me where to go. This was great I thought until I realized the GPS had me lost!!! Well I pulled over to reset the GPS in a church parking lot and the sign I stopped in front of said "Single Parent Parking" LOL Wow that is awesome!! I eventually was well on my way to home. Part way home I had to stop at a rest stop and what I found there was more than I could handle!! I walked into the womens bathroom and turned to go in the first stall to find a mens yernel!!! Oh no I went into the wrong bathroom and I was desperately trying to figure out how I was going to get out unnoticed when I realize I am surrounded by women!!! OK really this is weird. I just laughed I have no idea why there was a yernel in the ladies room, but I do find it humorous.
I got home just before 8pm. I now had the task of bringing the blankets in from my car. My storage area is in Jonathin's room on his top bunk bed. There are blankets from the top pf the bunk bed to the ceiling in our home as well as 9 boxes full of blankets and 4 big bags full of blankets and a total count of 210 blankets!!!! Unloading the van was exhausting.
After all that I got online and emailed Dr. Russel a letter to the doctor who I wanted to speak about the hospital and about Ethin at the Heart Ball. I woke up this morning to find an email from that doctor I wanted to speak and he said yes he would be honored!!! So drumroll please..... It is my complete honor to announce that Dr. Bryan Goldstein from U of M Mott Pediatric Cardiology will be at the Heart Ball and speaking!!! Dr. Goldstein is in his 3rd year of fellowship and was amazing with Ethin and our family. He really was Ethin's buddy and pry our favorite doctor. He was the doctor who was there for everything from the time he was born until his last on Earth. I could not be happier that he will be there to speak!
I encourage you all to check the website for the Heart Ball there is a link on the right hand side of the blog. I also want to thank everyone for everything that you ahve done for our family. Thank you for the prayers and the encouragement I love you all so much!

Please pray for the Delorey family
My pastors
Drake a HLHS baby in the hospital
D as he recovers from a brief hospital stay
Wyatt as he recovers from a slight illness
Krissy who is sick and missed the H of H event
The Heart Ball
and my children as we continue to adjust

With Heart Hugs, Blessings, and Love,

6 comments:

Louann said...

I am so glad you have collected this many blankets and that things came together for you so well.

Katie also got another tatoo from Rick a month ago.

So cool how you are getting this ball together - you're doing great work Jessica!!

Anonymous said...

Glad that Dr. Goldstein agreed! It was really nice seeing you this weekend. Next time you will have to come stay with us. Hang in there and know you are close in thought and forever in prayer.

Heart hugs,
Jenni, Eric, Joshua and Alizabeth Black
CP: Joshuaspage *HLHS*

Ashley Langston said...

Always in our thoughts!
Love, Ashley
(Matthew's big sister)
cp: MatthewJoshua

Anonymous said...

180 BLANKETS! That's amazing! I'm so glad you had a nice weekend. How awesome to see so many Heart Friends for the first time. And YAY for Dr. Goldstein!
Love you,
Cassie

Shannon said...

That's AMAZING! 180 blankets in ONE weekend?!?! Wow! That's definitely a sign that Ethin is still doing his thing here! :) Wow!

It sounds like you had a great weekend, and I'm so glad. I'm also glad Ethin's favorite doc is speaking at the Heart Ball. That will make it extra special, I'm sure. I really wish we could come up for it. Maybe we can be there next year...This year is out with all of the uncertainty with D and his surgery, but we'll be there in spirit. I can't wait to see pics and hear how everything turns out. It's going to be amazing, I know it! :)

Big Heart Hugs and Prayers,
Shannon

Stefenie said...

It was so great getting to talk to you many times on the phone this weekend Jess and hearing how very happy you were. It made my heart sing knowing that through the kindness of others you felt that Ethin's legacy was being honored. I am proud to have you a part of the Cuddles from the Heart project and can't wait to see how your donation day turns out!

Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com