Saturday, September 19, 2009

Heroes

Well we are on our way to Detroit today!! Ethin is so evident in our lives. I am missing him a great deal today. I am sure it has to do with knowing what I will do tomorrow. The pain never subsides of him not physically being here. God gives me the strength every day to get up and go on showing me the importance of that!
I wanted to share some thoughts with you on Heroes as the organization we are going to Detroit for is called Queen for a Day and Heroes.
A hero is a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength.

We all have heroes in our life. For some of us it is a man who fights for our country, or a policeman, firefighters, medics, or just someone who shows so much strength and courage we are in awe. For me my Hero was and is always Ethin. In 5 1/2 months I watched him fight with a strength that is unknown to me. I watched him with tears as I thought it was unfair he had to endure so much, but the truth was he did it with a smile on his face!!!
Now I say all this as we go down to Detroit to see some friends we made while there. One day they came into the hospital and made the kids and parents feel great. Here is there website http://www.qfad.org/ and this is the one for the Detroit chapter that came while we were there http://www.detroitqfad.com/ Please take the time to see what they do!

Also here is the poem I wrote for them and will be reading and presenting to them tomorrow.


Heroes
C.S. Mott’s Childrens hospital is one I know to well
It’s a place where stories are and families dwell
The halls are filled with people some are happy and some are sad
Some come in and some go, some work hard to make it not as bad
I spent many days there praying by a special boy
Some days were hard but Ethin brought me a lot of joy
Day in and day out some days were all the same
Then one day some very special people came
They wore boas, badges, and uniforms
They had come in to bring a light in the midst of all our storms
Making our children heroes and queens for a day
Giving parents massages for a moment showing us something besides the gray
Laughter that day they filled all the halls
Giving out tiara’s, fire hats, and balls
Some tears that day I know I shed
When I took them to Ethin who was confined to his bed
They stood there listened and talked for a while
A picture was taken everyone wearing a smile
A chief held my hero until the picture was done
His name was Ethin he is my son
Since that day my life has changed in the most drastic way
For Ethin has gone to heaven and on this Earth he could not stay
I wish he was here with us all tonight
But Ethin my warrior, my hero, my son he has won his fight
The men and women who came that day to share there title of hero
They are heroes without that badge or uniform this I know
For they come in and expect nothing in return
The things they go through for these kids there is so much we can learn
Ask them about the kids and families whose paths they cross
Make sure you comfort them when they hurt when our lives face a terrible loss
Let them share with you the smiles that they get to see
And know they are heroes beyond the uniform you all see!
Jessica Twigg 7-13-09

I will blog again pry when we are home thank you for following us here I know it is a change. Read my update from yesterday for all the info I always put in. Also I encourage you to use the links from our blog to our heart family's blogs. Also please spread the word I need CHD Pics for the Faces of CHD video I am making!!!!
Love and Blessings to you all!!!! Jessica




2 comments:

Sundie said...

Praying your travels were easy and that your vist provided some peace for you and your family. I love your blog... you're doing a great job! I'd love to send you some pics of Syd for your video. Do you want hospital pics along with recovered pics? Such a good idea to do a video!!!
Take care, Sundie

Shannon said...

The blog looks good. We want to order 3 of Ethin's bracelets. Let us know how to get them. Praying for you!!!